If you use Windows XP and do not have the Windows CD, ComboFix includes a method of installing the Windows Recovery console by downloading a file from Microsoft. To install the Windows Recovery Console when you do not have the Windows XP CD, please follow these instructions:
1. Click on the following link to go to Microsoft's Web site:
2. At that page, scroll down and click on the appropriate download for your version of Windows XP (Home or Professional) and the service pack level that you have installed. When you click on the link to download the file, make sure you save it directly to your desktop. If you are unsure what version of Windows you have and what Service Pack is installed, you can follow these instructions to gain that information.
1. Click on the Start button.
2. Click on the Run menu option.
3. In the Open: field type the following: sysdm.cpl and then click on the OK button.
4. A screen will appear showing information about your installation. Under the System: category you should see your Windows version and the installed Service Pack. When you are done determining this information continue with Step 2.
3. Once the Microsoft file has finished downloading, you should drag it on top of the ComboFix icon and let your mouse button go. This is shown in the following image.
4. ComboFix will now automatically install the Windows Recovery Console onto your computer, which will show up as a new option when booting up your computer. Do not select the Windows Recovery Console option when you start your computer unless requested to by a helper.